Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Roasted Butternut Squash Chicken Salad


Can you believe I have never had butternut squash? Actually - most of you probably can because I have never been a fan of vegetables until recently. On our anniversary, we went out to dinner to Russell Salvatore's restaurant and Christopher ordered a side of butternut squash risotto and I thought I would try it. Well...it was delicious! So this weekend when I did the grocery shopping, I had to pick one up to try something, anything with it. I mean - how often do I find a vegetable I can tolerate???

So...I found this recipe for a butternut squash salad and decided to adapt it for our families likes and ingredients that I already had on hand.

I used:
- 1/2 butternut squash
- cinnamon
- nutmeg
- romaine lettuce
- shredded coconut
- 1 green apple
- honey (my Uncle Jack's honey - it is the best!)
- chia seeds
- precooked, grilled chicken (about 1 breast)
- 4 oz plain goat cheese

This made two nice sized salads for Christopher and I!

Preheat the oven to 365 degrees. Dice up the butternut squash and spread on a baking sheet into a single layer. Drizzle with a little olive oil, nutmeg & cinnamon. Roast for 20 minutes and flip and bake an additional 20 minutes. While the squash was baking, I sliced the apples thin and plated them. Once plated I added the lettuce, sprinkled the coconut and chia seeds on the salad. Since the chicken was pre-cooked, I just microwaved it to warm it up and diced it into bite sized pieces. Then tossed on the salad along with the roasted butternut squash. Then I added about 2 oz of goat cheese to each plate and lightly drizzled Uncle Jack's honey over the salad. And voila!

The salad was delicious and sweet. Even Christopher liked it! We will definitely be making this again soon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment