Monday, November 3, 2014

Le Cellier Inspired Beer Cheese Soup


Yes Disney is still on my brain. My in-laws are visiting there right now and I would be lying if I did not say I was a little jealous. So in honor of their trip, our upcoming trip and Disney on the brain, I made a Le Cellier inspired Beer Cheese Soup.

1/4 lb bacon (finely chopped)
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
3 tbsp all purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock
12 oz grated or shredded cheddar cheese
3 dashes of hot sauce
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup beer (dark ale preferred)
salt & pepper to taste
Chopped chives for garnish

Tip: To "chop" the bacon, I used a pair of poultry scissors and cut the bacon into small pieces. In addition, I highly recommend using a food processor with a chopping option. It saves a lot of time.

Saute the bacon in a large, heavy-bottom, non-reactive stock pot over medium heat until wilted but not browned. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until onions are translucent and bacon has crisped. Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and chicken stock, a little at a time, blending well to ensure that there are no lumps. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce and beer. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with the chives if you like.

Yummy! Enjoy with some pretzel rolls or sticks :) Just like in the restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment