Thursday, September 19, 2013

Amish Breakfast Casserole


I found this recipe while scanning through Pinterest to find a quiche or casserole to serve at the splurge party brunch I was hosting. I liked the basis of this recipe, but added my own flavor to it.

Amish Breakfast Casserole
Serves: 8

1/2 lb Turkey Bacon, diced
1 tsp onion powder
5 eggs, beaten
1 bag of frozen shredded hash browns
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I used fat free)
1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, cook bacon until bacon is crisp. Drain any excess fat. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Once bacon is slightly cooled, stir in the bacon. Transfer to a greased 13x9 pyrex dish (see note below for what I did for the party). Bake, uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes and then serve.

Note: for the brunch I hosted, I cooked the casserole in two pans - 8x8 and glass loaf pan. This made serving easier; when the 8x8 was cold, I pulled out the warm loaf pan to serve "2nds" from. I kept this pan in the warm oven (at 200 degrees) until I needed it to serve. Also - instead of cutting the casserole into squares, I served it with a spoon and it worked out just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment