Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Fun with Wyatt & Double Crunch Pork Chops



Last Saturday I got to hang out with my favorite Godson Wyatt!!! We had so much fun racing cars and trucks, playing airplane and making a paper chain to countdown to his birthday! I can't believe he will be three this year! He is so excited for his birthday and wants everything red - his favorite color. Red cars, red plates, red cups, a red shirt, etc. He is too funny. I told him that my favorite color is red and he said that couldn't be because it is orange. Silly Wy-Guy. 

Speaking of "Wy" or "why" - he is going through that questioning phase. I think he thought I was an encyclopedia or something. It was pretty cute to see how curious he was about certain things. 

After playing with Wyatt all morning, I took a nice nap (I hope he did too for Carly) and then made some dinner. I saw some thin cut boneless pork chops when I was grocery shopping and they looked so good. I made breaded pork chops with a honey sauce. Instead of using flour or bread crumbs, I used milled flax seed, hence the dark color in the picture and for the honey I used my Uncle Jack's honey. I think I go through two to three containers in a year. I swear this stuff is also the reason I never get the cold or flu. If I feel any symptoms coming on, I take a tablespoon of it with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top. 


Breaded Pork Chops & Honey Sauce
Makes 2 servings
Pork Chops:
4 thin sliced boneless pork chops
1/2 cup milled/ground flax seed (or almond flour, regular flour, etc)
salt & pepper
1 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp ground sage
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 eggs
2 tbsp water

Honey Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
3 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
pepper (to taste)

Stir together all of the dry ingredients for the pork chop breading as listed in a shallow bowl. Make an egg wash by whisking the eggs with the water in a separate shallow bowl. Dip the meat in the breading mixture, then dip in the egg wash and then a final dip back into the breading mixture. Make sure the breading makes good contact with the chop. After coating all of the pork chops, place the chops in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow the breading to stick better to the pork.

While the pork is resting, in a small saucepan, add the olive oil and minced garlic. Cook over medium heat to soften the garlic. Add the honey, soy sauce and pepper. Simmer together for 5-10 minutes and then allow to cool and thicken. Do not let the sauce boil or it will cause a mess.

Heat a skillet on the stove with a little bit of canola oil, just enough to coat the bottom. I used a medium setting, as to not super heat the oil and over cook the pork. Once the oil is warm, add the pork chops to the skillet and cook each for about 3 minutes per side. Plate the pork immediately and drizzle the honey sauce over the pork chop (or dip them - whatever floats your boat).



No comments:

Post a Comment