Friday, February 13, 2015

Let's Dub this "Crack" Bread


So I have always wanted to try and make the scratch bread like Wegmans sells ($5/round - ouch) so I have been looking for some recipes. Most of the ones I found require the bread to be baked in a cast iron dutch oven (like this recipe here). I would love to own one of the beautiful Le Creuset ones, but I do not currently have one. So one night I decided to try baking the bread in a Pyrex glass bowl. BOOM - it worked. Or at least we love the result. I call it "crack" bread because I have made 4 rounds in 6 days and they are all gone!!! The above picture is what was left of the 4th round, so I figured I should hurry up and take a picture. I am going to share with you the recipe with modifications I used. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Crack Bread
Makes 2 smaller rounds

1 packet active dry yeast
2 tsp sugar
2 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
4 cups of flour
about 2 tbsp butter

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the yeast and sugar, then add the warm water. Leave the mixture along for about 10 minutes. The yeast and water will become frothy. Add the salt to the bowl. Using the dough hook attachment, turn the mixer onto a low setting and slowing add the flour. Once all the flour has been added, turn the setting up one or two notches higher to knead the dough. The dough will be fairly wet (unlike a pizza dough). Remove the bowl from the mixer, cover with a dish cloth and place in a warm area to rise for an hour. Since it is the dead of winter, I turn my oven on low (like 300) and place the bowl near, but not on or in, the oven.

After an hour, the dough should have at least doubled in size. Punch down the dough and divide the dough in half. Butter two medium sized glass Pyrex bowls. Put the divided dough into each of the bowls. Let the dough rise again in the buttered bowls, uncovered, for about 25 minutes. While the dough is rising for a second time preheat the oven to 425 degrees. After the 25 minutes, bake the bread in the buttered bowls for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes. If the dough still looks a little "pale", bake for an additional 5 minutes.

Remove the bowls from the oven and turn out onto cooking racks immediately. If you buttered the bowls properly, the rounds should just fall right out. Cool for about 5 - 10 minutes before cutting into (it will be hard to resist). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment